August 15, 2008

1st Gotcha Day!

On Wednesday, August 13th 2007, Taylor was placed into our arms as our forever daughter for the first time. On this day, Taylor was taken out of the baby house in Astana, Kazakhstan! In many ways, it seems as though it was only yesterday that we became a forever family. It is so hard to believe that it has been a year! Over the past year we have witnessed so many wonderful things and have never felt more blessed than we do now.

When we met Taylor, she was very tiny. But now she is a walking, talking, destructive machine! She has grown in so many ways, both in physical and mental means. She has such a vocabulary, and it still amazes us when she will walk into a room and actually point something out. Take yesterday for example, I broke my toe over the weekend so it is taped to another toe, and in walks Taylor, sees it and points while saying "Oh, Crap." I mean, she is astounding! Now, that was not something that we meant to teach her, but instead of saying something "else" we have been saying that. She picks up everything. We are even spelling things now and she just repeats the letters! Her height and weight is still small for her age, but hey she is following her chart!

Our lives have changed for the better and I cannot think of a better blessing. We are more patient (yep, had to learn that real quick!), and are always looking forward to life. Taylor makes us smile all the time, and we are truly happier because of her.

Now I know that this post sounds very cheesy, and I am getting emotional just thinking about the past year, but this is probably one of the best posts. Because Taylor is home with us, and this past year has meant so much, I cannot help but cry a little tear of happiness.

For Gotcha Day we celebrated both on the 13th with Taylor, myself, my sister Stacey and our friend Chris. We went for ice cream, played in the water, and made Taylor feel special all day. Tony had to work and had a meeting in the evening, so we celebrated with him on the 14th. We had a cake from Milford Bakery which had the Kazakhstan flag with "Happy Gotcha Day Taylor" on the side. Tony also brought home a flower made of cupcakes. We had cake, and all played for the evening. They were both wonderful days! Taylor had the expression of happiness on her face all day!

Happy 1st Gotcha Day Taylor! We love you very much!











12 comments:

John & Jenny Morgan said...

I can hardly believe it's been a year! Happy Gotcha Day! Taylor has changed a lot since last summer, but one thing has stayed the same: she's still such a cutie pie!

Anonymous said...

Hey, guys, congratulations on your first gotcha day!! I can't believe it has been a whole year for you and almost a year for us! Doesn't it seem like just yesterday in someways and a dream in others? The thirteenth was one year since court for us! Taylor has changed so much but is still such a little doll! We think of you often but just haven't been very good at sending a line. You have been so good at updating too. Anyway, congrats again!
Jennifer, Michael and Matthew
PS- you made my eyes water too!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it has been a year! Congratulations!! And once again, great pictures; Taylor looks so happy!
Heidi
P.S. Nice looking cakes too!

Dana said...

Happy Gotcha Day! What a great way to celebrate, and all those smiley pictures of Taylor, they're great too! Love the cake. She is just toooo cute!

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!!!!
Wow - the time sure does fly by. Tay has grown and learned so much since we saw you mere months ago. Love the story, but sorry about your toe! Thanks for continuing to keep us updated on Taylor's progress. The cakes are fabulous!
-KJ, Steve and Tougy

a said...

Hi Tay,
This is your BFF Kate...Happy Gotcha Day to us! I cannot believe we have been with our forever families for a year now...can you? Hey, when do we get to play together again? Do you like Elmo?
Kate

The Cook said...

yeah, happy gotcha day. I love the cake.

Jaimie, Gena and Berik said...

Yeah..!!! Happy Gotcha Day!! Such an exciting time and rightfully emotional not cheesy. She is so adorable in the pics and I am glad I got to meet her in person because all the more cute! Her personality rocks! Love the cake and the flower cupcakes are cute! Gena,Jaimie and Berik

Alaina said...

Cute! Happy Gotcha Day! Isn't is amazing how time flies?

Susan said...

Taylor is looking so different and grown up! What a sweetie!
I love the cakes and the updates.

I remember following your blog religiously last summer...and NOW we are here NOW adopting our daughter.
I think we are having such a wonderful time because of all my blog stalking "back in the day"

Congratulations!!!
We were here 4 weeks yesterday, and have court in a lil less than 3 weeks. :)

thanks for letting me tag along on your journey to your precious daughter. :)

CONGRATS!
ps. I like your hair blondie!

Susan said...

Taylor is looking so different and grown up! What a sweetie!
I love the cakes and the updates.

I remember following your blog religiously last summer...and NOW we are here NOW adopting our daughter.
I think we are having such a wonderful time because of all my blog stalking "back in the day"

Congratulations!!!
We were here 4 weeks yesterday, and have court in a lil less than 3 weeks. :)

thanks for letting me tag along on your journey to your precious daughter. :)

CONGRATS!
ps. I like your hair blondie!

françoise said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.