July 8, 2007

Today is Sunday and unfortunately we will be unable to visit Taylor. We will resume visiting tomorrow at 10am. It is sad not being able to see her but we do have plans to go out and enjoy the city! We are planning to go to the aquarium today and Gulsana seems to be very excited! She kept telling me that "we have sharks!" and then gave a cute smile. I explained that Tony liked sharks as well and she said we should go. So, we are going!

Last night we decided to venture out on our own. We walked along the river- our apartments are on the river- and we walked down to the RamStore. The RamStore is the grocery store and it is about a 15-20 minute walk from the apartment. We bought our first items as tourists! We just pointed and showed the number of fingers... Tony tried to open a glass enclosed case but got yelled at so we just learned to point. It was really nice to feel like we can do things without Gulsana or Baheet here. On the walk back home we got to witness some event going on on the riverwalk. I want to say that it was similar to a debutante ball back in the States.

We have made some friends here in Astana. Annette and Marwan are a couple that arrived on the same day as us. They are from New York. We are on the same schedule and plan to be spending a lot of time together trying to figure out the city. We have plans tonight to go to dinner at Ali Baba with the families who are already almost complete with the process. This will give us a chance to ask questions in a freindly environment. No translators or coordinators allowed!

To the families who are keeping up with our blog:
when we applied, we asked for a little girl between the ages of 6 and 24 months. We were told that since we were willing to accept a toddler that that would be the likely senario. We traveled blind here with no idea of the age we were to be referred but had not prepared ourselves for an infant. Actually, all the items we have at home (clothes and toys) are for a toddler so she will have to grow into them! Kazakhstan has become a blind travel country which means that they do not send you information before you travel. When you get here, you go to the director of the baby house and they bring in the one child that they want you to choose. They also show you other children but they have already chosen one for you. We were shown Taylor first, and they then showed us a little boy with cerebral palsy. They knew we were not going to accept the boy so it seemed to us that we only had one option.
It took us a couple of days before we were certain that Taylor was the one for us. Once we were able to sit down with the doctors and discuss her health, we were convinced. I will admit that it was a stressful time, but well worth it. For those who are expecting that you will know instantly, you won't. At least it wasn't that way for us. We are very happy and excited about Taylor now that we have adjusted to the idea of a younger child.

We absolutely love all the comments! We tried to tune into GHSN on the television, but we couldn't find it. Thanks for the laugh Mark! To our friends and family back home, we miss you already. Stay in touch!

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Move over ESPN...GHSN has arrived. The only reason I said it was to get the laugh I knew I would. Glad you enjoyed it. Had to break the SSDD when you are not with Taylor. Can you imagine Thank You for watching GHSN tonights game is the Detroit Red Wings verses the Kaz Kittens. This will be one heck of a game, the goat heads have been frozen and we will soon have the ceremonial dropping of the guts which signal the start of the game.
By the way Tigers have won out of three with the series with Boston. Last night went 13 innings.
I know that you were expecting an older child but think of how much fun it will be watching all the firsts. And with one on one Taylor will absolutely flourish. Remember how fast Aubrie changed? It will be something new everyday and is sooo much fun.
We are having a good time checking for updates every morning. Mark wants an address he has a gift that he has to send to Taylor. Her 1st Snoopy and he has his heart set on her having it.
Guys have fun and let us know what we can do for you here to make the transition easier.
Love you guys
Mark and Debbie

Carolyn said...

Dear Maegan and Tony,
My Name is Carolyn, I am with WPA
and expect to be in Astana at the end of next month to meet my child. Just a quick note to say that I am enjoying your blog as my Astana and baby house "fix". Congratulations to you both. I live in NYC and believe that I have met your new travel buddies at a brunch here in NYC and send my best to them as well. I am looking forward to following along.
Have fun-I can't wait to get there myself.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Ok you know how hard it is to have your bestfriend so far away. I mean if I have a problem I can't even call you. Your phone is off, and yes I tried to call a few minutes ago. Anyways, I am gonna go out wednesday and buy some clothes for Taylor, I am gonna buy 12 months so she can grow into them when she gets here. I will keep the reciept incase she grows to fast while you are there. I mean I have a neice now, what they hell am I gonna do

Debbie said...

Maegan and Tony:
Just a note to let you know that when we went shopping for Baby's 1st Snoopy this morning(more on that later) we were at Babies R Us and I picked up 2 very cute 9 month outfits that I will be glad to send you if you need them. They are of course summer outfits but thought you might need something smaller for Taylor.
Now on to the snoopy story. It has been a ritual that when another grandchild or godchild or friends children comes into the family Uncle Mark & Aunt Debbie get them their 1st Snoopy. We have always been able to get them at Babies R Us so this morning off we go to get Taylor's.
After checking thru the store and not being able to find not even one Mark asks a sales associate who explains that they have been discontinued and are no longer available. He was totally devistated. We had Heather going on-line trying to find one but to no avail. On the way back home I told him that I know I had seen them once at Meijers quite some time back. He said that he had never seen them there and thought it was a lost cause. I kept pushing Meijers and he relented, I kept saying what could a stop hurt. He was just so devistated not to have one for Taylor. Off I trot to the babies section with him lagging behind. And low and behold what do I see sitting on the shelf...the lone remaining girls Baby's 1st snoopy. There wasn't another one anywhere to be found, so now Mark is sooo happy we can continue the tradition this one last time and give Taylor her 1st baby snoopy.
If you need us to send these outfits to you just get us an address and we will fed-ex them to you. You should be able to get them in a couple of days.
Enjoy your time with Taylor and can't wait to see pics when you get cable and are up and running
Debbie and Mark

Sarah and Andy said...

Thanks for the advice and all the info--you are providing great info for future families! We look forward to reading your daily entries. Sounds like you guys are doing great!!! Can't wait to see photos. :) Enjoy the sight seeing.
Sarah

Unknown said...

Hi Megan this is Mike Mac Phee's grandmother I'm very happy for you both and hope to see Taylor when you come home.I'm enjoying reading the update about you all.hope to see you soon. Nan

The Cook said...

we just got back 6 weeks ago from karaganda with our little princess. It was a great experience. I loved every minute. Treasure this time. I am excited to follow your journey. Our blog is www.2kaz4sophie.blogspot.com